Thursday, June 10, 2010

Camel, DJ, Caterer, Shisha, Beach House = Graduation Party Kuwaiti Style



Yesterday was the much anticipated Chevron Graduation Party. All the moms of graduation kids worked together to throw an amazing party at the President's house on the beach. Whenever we go to Chevron everyone pulls out their tank tops and shorts because it's the one place we can do and wear whatever we want. Julie and I drove to ASK where buses were waiting to take us down to the Chevron camp. Taylor and Sela Okamura were ever the gentlemen and ensured that all the American girls made it onto a separate bus than the Kuwaiti males. Soon everyone was aboard and we spent the hour drive talking and laughing and singing to a thousand different cell phone selections at once.

Upon debarking from the bus we were greeted with photographers and Ms Beeler with a camel! All of us took turns riding the crazy easily distracted camel along the beach. It was perfect! There was a dj, a schwarma man, caterers, and 15 dozen 2010 cupcakes! The food was fantastic, and the selection entirely overwhelming. And whose idea was it to leave buckets of ice around? Of course I put some down Ariel’s back while Jayle distracted her, I mean, what exactly was I supposed to do? I danced, and ate, arranged corsages and boutineers with Erika and Joha, sang and leapt around, snaped photos, rode a camel and eventually settled down with friends on the diwaniya couches overlooking the ocean. Shisa pipes were brought out and everyone smoked the pipes under the stars. The stars were so bright and beautiful and the evening entirely perfect. At that moment I realized how blessed I was to be with such amazing friends at a party on a beach in Kuwait. My life still surprises even me. The evening was so muggy and at times it was hard to breathe, but the night was so amazing and everyone's faces were beaming that no one appeared sweaty or gross.

We walked along the beach for a while, but soon had to run back to the DJ as our favorite songs began. The class of 2010 chose Waving Flag as their Senior Song, so everyone sang at the top of their voices and danced and went utterly crazy.

I could rant and rave forever about the lights, the food, the entertainment and the magic, but I think simply calling it the perfect party should suffice.

At midnight the spell was broken and most everyone boarded the buses back to the city. We cleaned up the party, and packaged leftover food for the moms to take to the guards. We set up camp downstairs and talked and giggled till around 3:00 am and woke up around 8. Far too little sleep!

I was greeted in the morning by the smells of breakfast and enjoyed the food Jayle’s dad made. Soon Ariel and Julie were gone and Jayle Bekah and I were left to enjoy the afternoon. Jayle drove over to the shop, we bought batteries and coke and soon met the boys by the pool. The afternoon was spent tanning and playing with Jonny’s little siblings in the pool. By 3:00 we were home eating leftovers and cleaning up for soap soccer!

Jonny, John, Bekah, Jayle and I took a car down into the city. Jonny played country music and I sat there just so happy to be alive. I was appreciative of my friends, my life, everything! Soap soccer was set up in an arena on the Gulf. It was another fantastic evening. Joha and I tumbled around trying to get each other wet, Taylor made the mistake of soaking me with the hose, and I just tackled him down. Everyone was sliding around going crazy! There were about 5 girls and 20 guys. Jayle Bekah and I were the most adventurous. We ventured into the boys game of tackle football. Everyone was against the person running towards the opposite end with the ball. Jayle Bekah and I tackled each other for a while, but soon the guys were tackling us too. Faisal slided across the field to try and make me slip, I just jumped over him, Taylor ran towards me and I tripped him, but Fareed, this HUGE guy came hurling towards me and I went down. I kinda lay there for a minute unable to move. I had to be carried off the field and though I was in pain I just sat there laughing it off. I refused to give up so joined back in the game with a slight limp. The rest of soap soccer was fun and crazy. A fantastic evening!

The most amazing part of the weekend? The fact that it happened. It was a weekend of utter perfection. Friends, parties, a camel, a dj, enjoying the beach, dancing under the stars, what more could a girl ever want or dream of cramming into one single weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment