
So it’s been fun being alone this month and being able to roam free, but it can get kinda lonely and a little stressful taking care of a huge villa all by yourself. I sent a I'm going insane text to dad yesterday, I hope I didn’t freak him out, but it was a crazy day.
It all started when I woke up and went to get myself some breakfast and discovered that there were ants in the cereal and all over the counters. So I walked around and followed them out the kitchen door to their hiding place. The crevice was nasty, soo many ants. Sadly while I was outside I discovered hundreds of spider nests and spiders eggs along the walls of the house, and I went insane. All I knew was that I did not want them hatching with me home alone. I did the only logical thing to do, hauled the hose around the side of the house, and started spraying the walls down. The water instantly turned to the mud thanks to the sand coating the house, and the several centimeters worth on the floor, I kept sweeping the water out and down the street, hosing off the house, filling up buckets and splashing the walls past the hose’s reach, and finally trying to drown the ants out of their home. I looked like a maniac. A crazy western girl running around outside in shorts and dripping wet, where is her maid?
Well I really aggravated the ants and they wouldn’t all die, so I sprayed the hole with nasty deodorant spray, it killed some, but made a mess. So one more time I hauled water to the top of the steps, dumped it down the alley way and swept the mud, ants and spider eggs out into the street.
At this point I was emotionally and physically a mess. I did the only thing I know how to do in a situation like that, shower, then bake. I came downstairs to bake and discovered ants in the flour and oatmeal I needed to cook with. After emptying my cabinets and making a grocery list I called up my faithful Hamid and requested a taxi.
I changed out of my shorts into a long skirt and loose blouse and climbed into the taxi. Calais “Where do you want to go madam?” Molly “I dunno… I just need a good variety of fresh vegetables, and well, lots of American food.” Calais “Okay, no problem, I take you.”
And twenty minutes later I found myself at a Sultan Center on Gulf Road surrounded with American ingredients. I wasn’t willing to pay $9 for coffee creamer to spice up my oatmeal, but I did find chocolate chips, butterscotch chocolate chips, fake vanilla, corn syrup, flour, sugar, brown sugar, and several other American ingredients. The produce selection was huge and I decided to satisfy my craving for guacamole and ignored the price on the avocadoes. I paid an outrageous amount for my groceries, but was a little more sane when I climbed back into my taxi. It was over 120 degrees outside, so I passed Calais a cool coke and sipped my drink in peace.
I returned home, Calais unloaded the groceries for me, and then I cranked up my music and went to work. I think I went a little insane with the baking. I did little but bake for two days and made a couple hundred chocolate chip cookies, a double batch of no bake fudge cookies, butterscotch cookies, butterscotch and chocolate cookies, oatmeal cookies, oatmeal chocolate cookies, peanut butter cookies, snicker doodle cookies, 5 loaves of chocolate chip banana bread, my own version of key lime pie but with fresh lemons, a berry cobbler coffee cake, toffee topping… I baked my stress away and filled the freezer. I wanted not only dad to enjoy the goodies when he came home, but I wanted to be part of events in the fall when I was at college. I might not be on the same continent, but that doesn’t mean I can’t make dessert for a dinner party.
This is hilarious & I'm still benefitting from your baking extravaganza! Love the pics you post w your blog.
ReplyDelete