Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Teacher Molly

Well, how many 17 year olds can say that they started their own preschool? Somehow I think it’s a small number. However, I have my own preschool! Yes, it is stressful and crazy, but also very rewarding and fun.


My job in shipping finished on the 15th of September, and I started preschool 2 days later. There had been requests and rumors over the past 2 weeks, and the Embassy finally decided to do something. Because of swine flu all of the preschools here have been delayed until the end of November, so there are lots of children that are just sitting at home desperately waiting till it starts up. So, I was the solution to the problem. The day before I started I was shown the room and they basically said just have fun and go for it. I asked around and finally got the key to an office that had some craft supplies and sports equipment. I raided our limited supply of children’s books at home and started a plan.


The first 2 weeks were stressful because I did not have any support. There was a pay proposal, but it wasn’t definite. They wanted to pay me for just the time I spent with the children. Apparently they couldn’t understand how I couldn’t just walk in and have everything magically ready. Every morning I arrived at 9, and had the kids from 10-12, and cleaned up for at least half an hour afterwards. It takes time to precut crafts, imagine games, set up… but it has been difficult communicating this. I was sent in circles talking to people and asking for a budget, better pay; no one wanted to take responsibility for me.


This week things have finally started to settle down with the new AEWA Recreation Director. She has been fighting for me, but they still can’t give me a budget. Also, only starting this Monday was I paid from set up till clean up. That means about half the time I worked earlier I wasn’t paid for.


But oh well! It may be stressful, but I know this will make a good college essay. The kids love it. I have 13 2-5 year olds, 2 toddlers, and 2 babies. The nannies come, but not all of them speak English, and when they bring the babies chaos normally ensues. Every day about 3-4 nannies come with the 2 year olds, and they provide minimal help. I’ve had a parent help me a couple times this week, but other than that it’s just me.


I’m actually amazed at all that we’ve been able to successfully do. Over the weeks we’ve done play dough, story time, music and dance, parachute games, duck duck goose, musical chairs, made tie dye fish, crowns, necklaces, moose masks, drawn and colored outlines of their bodies, colored, painted, done sidewalk chalk, free time with balls and jump ropes outside, tattoos, monster cars, airplanes…


The kids are so cute, I love how much they are able to enjoy it and the parents keep coming up to me with praise. One mom said her kids talk endlessly about me and daily look forward to it. She said they love the fact that I’m young and energetic and can relate somewhat more than an adult. I’m sure the fact that I run around dancing and singing like a fool helps a bit :) But I love my kiddos, and am slowly getting used to being called Teacher or Miss Molly.

1 comment:

  1. That is SOOO cool! Kids are so much fun aren't they?
    -Josh
    (testing testing)

    ReplyDelete